A simple cheese broccoli soup recipe that is easy to make and filled with delicious cheddar cheese, broccoli and carrots.
Where I live now, winter doesn’t feel like winter anymore. And, I love it!
I spent many, many years living in New York and during this time of the year, I would spend my days either hibernating for days at a time or completely dreading having to get up early and head out to work. I don’t like repeating this, but I am so glad and grateful that is not the case anymore.
However, I do know that many of you do have to go through the freezing ordeal of the winter months and I wanted to bring you a bit of comfort and warmth through this delicious simple cheese broccoli soup.
I did not grow up eating this soup as a child. Actually, I never even had it or knew much about until I entered college. Can you believe that?! Boy, I was missing out.
I had it for lunch one day at the Au Bon Pain branch located on campus and I was hooked. I don’t care what anybody body says. Au Bon Pain’s broccoli cheddar soup is better than Panera’s. Period.
Now, this recipe comes pretty close and it’s way better for you because it’s homemade! Plus, you know exactly what you are putting in it.
Just add these simple ingredients into a pot and in minutes you’ll be enjoying a warm, comforting and delicious soup that everyone in the family will love. Pair it with a salad and your favorite bread and you are all set for dinner.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, pilled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly-grated
- Heat butter in a dutch oven pot, over medium high heat, until melted. Add onions, garlic and carrots and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes or until onions cook through and become transparent.
- Stir in the flour and let cook for about 1 minute. Then, add the chicken stock and stir until it's all combined.
- Stir in the cream, milk, broccoli, salt, pepper and nutmeg until all is combined. Bring up to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer until broccoli is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add in and stir the freshly-grated cheddar cheese until it has melted and combined with the soup.
- Serve warm with your favorite bread and/or salad.