Sweet, chocolaty and deliciously gooey, these Rice Krispies with M&M Chocolates are the perfect treat to share with the kids on any occasion.
This post is at risk of being ridiculously brief. Not because I don’t have much to say, but because the new job and house/family duties are squeezing every ounce of energy in me. So, please excuse the brevity and possible typos. I promise that as soon as I get passed this newly employed phase and acquire a more organized routine, everything will seem a bit more normal.
So for now, let me just get into this super gooey, super sweet Easter treats.
I have to confess that sometimes, not always, but sometimes, I suffer from the lazy mom syndrome and look for any and every shortcut possible to tend to my children’s needs or wants. One of those shortcuts is on the snacks area. Most of the time I simply resort to buying any kind of packaged snack possible, just so that my mornings run a lot smoother.
I had never made Rice Krispies before. I always just bought the packaged ones. I do not eat those much because I find them a tad on the sweet side. But after I discovered how easy it is to make them on your own, I decided to give it a try.
Making it is truly very simple and you can add a little extra butter to lower the sweetness a tiny bit. What’s even more awesome is that you can mix it with a variety of other treats or even drizzle with chocolate for extra fun.
To make the Rice Krispies bars all you need is rice krispies cereal, marshmallows and butter. I added a little vanilla and some pastel colors dark chocolate M&Ms for extra flavor and cuteness.
Simply melt the marshmallows and butter over medium heat and add the vanilla. Then, pour the melted marshmallows over the rice krispies and mix together. Add the chocolate pieces and incorporate quickly with the rice krispies mixture to avoid them from melting. If a few of them start to melt it’s OK. That just adds to the goodness. But you still want to see mostly whole chocolate pieces in it.
These rice krispries bars were so good that my son could barely wait to eat them. As soon as I finished snapping these photos, he stole a bar and the glass of milk. All I could do was laugh and snap a picture of him.
I saved some of the treats and wrapped them in cute little bags tied with a ribbon. I saved a few to share with the kids this Sunday for Easter and the rest I took to work to share with my new work mates. They all loved them! I’m sure you will too.
Rice Krispies Treats with M&M Chocolates
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 (10 oz.) pack of mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups rice krispies
- 1 cup dark M&Ms chocolate
- Melt marshmallows and butter together in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Mix in vanilla.
- Place rice krispies in a large bowl and pour melted marshmallows over it. Stir until it's all combined. Keep in mind, it will be sticky.
- Add the dark chocolate M&Ms and quickly combine into the sticky mixture. Some of the chocolate pieces will melt a little.
- Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper. Spread the rice krispies mixture into the pan to mold it into a large rectangle. Let it sit to cool for about 45.
- Once cooled, remove the rice krispies from the pan by carefully pulling the parchment paper out.
- Using a knife, cut into squares and serve with a cup of milk.