This post is also available in: Español[social_warfare]
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CocinoConKnorr #CollectiveBias.
Seasoned with chicken bouillon, this hearty Shrimp and Lentils Stew is packed with flavor and filled with delicious shrimp, lentils, carrots, potatoes, celery, onions and garlic. The perfect meal for lent.
I am going to be honest with you. Unlike many people, I do not follow the lent tradition of giving up meats and poultry during this time of the year. However, many of my friends and family do, including my mom. I was just talking to one of my best friends back in New York a few years ago and she was telling me how she is following a complete Vegan diet by not eating any foods that contain ingredients that come from animals for lent. I found this amazing and very inspiring because to me has always been very difficult giving up meat for any reason.
Since, my mom came to stay with us for a couple of months, I thought I would join her in following this lent tradition as a way of supporting her and cooking only things that she can eat during this time of the year. That’s when the idea of making this delicious Shrimp and Lentils Stew came to mind almost immediately!
I have made this lentils stew before, but instead of shrimp, I added chorizo. I must say that the shrimp goes very well with the lentils, so much so that I did not miss the chorizo in the recipe at all.
Also for this recipe, I used the 2.2 lb version of the Knorr® Tomato with Chicken Flavor Granulated Bouillon, which can be found in the Hispanic Aisle at your local Walmart store.
Side Note: While there, make sure to attend their in-store events in selected states (Arizona, California, Florida and Texas) and try out the Black Bean Salad made with Knorr® bouillon!
I always use Chicken Flavor Bouillon in my cooking. It really is my favorite seasoning to add to my food. This is something I got from my mother as it is the one ingredient she cannot go without, ever. It adds authentic flavor to a traditional or to any every day dish. With Knorr®, you don’t have to sacrifice on flavor by giving up meats/poultry! And I must say that it gave this dish that special something that turns any dish into a must have again and again.
You can have this Shrimp and Lentils Stew as is, served over a bed of rice or with a side of yummy crusty bread. Either way, you’ll enjoy the taste of a comforting, flavorful, totally homemade meal that the entire family will love.
Shrimp and Lentils Stew
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound shrimp , peeled and devained
- 2 celery stalks , chopped
- 1 medium red onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 carrots , peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound gemstone potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Knorr® Tomato with Chicken Flavor Granulated Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils
- 6 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro , roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook slightly, until it has turned a bit pink. Remove shrimp and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onions, celery, garlic, carrots and potatoes to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about five minutes. Sprinkle in chicken bouillon, oregano,basil, bay leaf and red pepper flakes, cook one minute.
- Add tomato sauce, lentils and water, stirring well to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are soft, about an hour.
- When lentils are soft and soup is ready to be served, season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro and reserved shrimp.
- Serve warm with rice or bread.
Make sure to take advantage of the coupon from Ibotta I share at the bottom of this post. Now tell me, what’s you favorite dish to have during lent season? Share in the comments below.
For more recipes and tips, visit KnorrSabor.com (if you prefer English, Knorr.com).