Slow Cooker Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili ~ This delicious turkey and sweet potato chili is warm, comforting and made in the slow cooker for ease of cooking. The perfect meal for a chilly fall evening!
Thinking about warm soups and homemade chili really gets me excited. Now that the new season is upon us, we have been craving warm, spicy meals that warm our hearts and souls for the many cold months to come. Although, I’m not really sure how this cold season is going to be for us now that we live in South Florida. Nonetheless, I still enjoy a warm cozy dinner just the same and this slow cooker turkey and sweet potato chili is just too delicious to not enjoy.
This easy chili made with turkey and sweet potatoes is the perfect weeknight meal and can be packed to take to work for lunch every day of the week, thereafter. So, it doesn’t only save you time but money as well, as you’ll be bringing a great lunch to work rather than buying. That right there to me is a win-win situation.
It’s a delicious healthy meal option with all the right flavors, and not too spicy for those who enjoy their chili on the milder side. However, if you prefer your chili really spicy, simply bump up the heat as you wish by adding more red pepper flakes or chili powder.
By using the slow cooker for this recipe, I was able to significantly lower the preparation time leaving us with extra hours to cozy up and watch some of our favorite Fall television shows while it cooks. Because isn’t that just the perfect way to wait for an excellent meal? I say yes!
Tip: 15 minutes before the chili is ready add a tablespoon of fresh parsley roughly chopped for added freshness.
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- ½ bell pepper, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
- 2 teaspoons oregano, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (22 oz.) can diced tomato
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into one inch pieces
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, bell pepper, onion, garlic, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Heat up the oil in a large skillet over high-medium heat. Brown the turkey breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Once completely browned, carefully, transfer the meat into the slow cooker. Add the rest of the cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, oregano and salt. Then, add the diced tomato and its juices, tomato sauce, sweet potato and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours and 30 minutes on high or 6 hours on low. Taste and season with salt as needed.
- Finally, add fresh parsley roughly chopped,15 minutes before the chili is ready, for added freshness.
- Serve warm with side of choice.
*This post was originally featured on POPSUGAR, for whom I am a contributor and part of POPSUGAR Select Latina.