A deliciously sweet and tangy Apple Cranberry Pie filled with crisp apples and cranberries covered by a flaky, buttery crust. THE perfect holiday dessert!
It is officially holiday season! Well, it has been for a few weeks now, but, as usual, I am late to the celebration because I just can’t seem to be able to even catch my breath these days.
The good news is that I was able to make this amazing pie to share with you before Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving is next week!!! Can you believe it? I seriously feel like this year has just flown on by. Before we know it’ll be New Year’s Eve and that will be the end of 2017.
But for now, let us simply enjoy and celebrate that Thanksgiving is near and we’ll get to eat lots of delicious desserts like this Apple Cranberry Pie.
Is your Thanksgiving menu ready? I have been thinking about a few dishes but haven’t set my ideas straight yet. I want to make too many dishes, but I know that in the end, I’ll need to narrow it down by a lot if I really want to enjoy the holiday. I’m not one to spend all day in the kitchen.
This Apple Cranberry Pie is a big contender though. It is so delicious and super easy to make. The tangy flavor of the cranberries, the sweetness from the apple and the spices combination make this dessert a Fall favorite. I used store-bought pie dough to shorten the cooking process so that we can spend less time in the kitchen and more time to enjoy with family.
Serve it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and you are all set for the night.
Apple Cranberry Pie
- 4 large apples, cored, peeled and cubed (about 6-7 cups)
- Juice from 1 lime, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water, plus 1 additional tablespoon for egg wash
- 1 box (2 sheets) pie crust, store bought
- 1 teaspoon white sparkling sugar, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Put the apple slices in a large saucepan and drizzle with fresh lime juice. Toss to coat the apples. This will keep the apples from browning. Add the cranberries, sugar, flour, apple pie spice, lime zest, vanilla extract and water. Stir until combined.
- Place the saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until cranberries start to break and water has reduced completely. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- On a slightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough about one extra inch from it's original size. Transfer the dough to a 9-inch pie pan. Pat with your fingers, making sure it is smooth. Trim the extra overhang of dough with a knife and set aside. Fill pie with apple cranberry filling.
- Roll out the second sheet of dough and carefully transfer to the pie pan to cover the filling. Trim off the excess dough and pinch the edges using a fork to seal the edges. Cut multiple slits in the top of the pie.
- In a small bowl mix together the egg and 1 tablespoon water. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush crust and edges with egg wash. Sprinkle pie with sparkling sugar, if using.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. When the pie is done baking, remove from oven and cool for one hour before serving. Cut into slices and serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- I like to use a store bought crust for ease and convenience, but you can make yours from scratch if you prefer. Make it gluten-free by using a GF crust.
- Bake the pie in a pre-heated oven so that it cooks evenly.
- If you plan on storing the pie, let it cool completely before wrapping it.
Did you make this recipe? We’d love to see! Tag @Smart_LilCookie on Instagram and use the hashtag #SmartLittleCookieEats.
*This post contains affiliate links. Any Amazon purchases made through the links in this post help support SmartLittleCookie.net at no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping make this site possible!