Light and sweet with a slight spiciness of ginger, this Blueberry Ginger Lemonade is delightfully refreshing.
Well, apparently, it was National Lemonade Day last week. I was reminded of this by all the amazing lemonade posts on my Instagram feed. It suddenly woke in me a crazy desire for a nice, cold and refreshing lemonade.
This past weekend was also perfect to make lemonade because it was brutally hot out! The temperatures rose past the 90 degrees and it felt muggy and humid. I like warm weather, but sometimes it can get a bit too much. Like, really!
I was not really put down by the weather, though, because I remembered that summer is almost over and winter is coming. Urrg! Instead, I made the best of a hot situation and made this dreamy Blueberry Ginger Lemonade.
I love lemonade! It is such a versatile drink. You can literally mix it with almost anything and it will still taste absolutely delicious. The variations you can make with this drink are practically endless. The fresh taste of homemade lemonade is the best. How do you like your lemonade?…
The flavor combination of sweet, sour and spicy in this lemonade is truly out of this world. By adding mint leaves, there is also another level of freshness added that makes it just absolutely amazing!
It is so simple to make, too!
First, I made ahead a ginger simple syrup by boiling water, sugar and ginger for about 5 minutes and then letting it sit for about 20 minutes to allow the ginger flavor to infuse into the sugar. Then, I blended the blueberries with some water and passed to a strainer to separate the blueberry bits. In a medium pitcher, I mixed the blueberry juice with freshly squeezed lemon juice, ginger simple syrup, mint leaves and some extra water. Serve with plenty of ice. Cheers!
Blueberry Ginger Lemonade
- 1 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 cups water , divided
- 2 inch piece ginger , sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 mint leaves
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, 1 cup water and ginger slices. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 20 minutes. Remove ginger pieces and discard.
- Place the blueberries and 1/2 cup water in a blender. Blend on medium-high speed for about 1 minute, until the blueberries are completely pureed. Strain the blueberry puree through a fine mesh sieve.
- Combine the blueberry puree with lemon juice, 1/2 cup of ginger simple syrup, mint leaves and the remaining 3 cups of water. Add more water, if desired. Stir well, and chill. Serve over ice.