This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
Crunchy, spicy and with a perfect smokey flavor, these Chipotle Chicken Tostadas would be a hit among family and friends.
All around, all I see and hear are back to school commercials and conversations. I’m still in complete denial. Purposely avoiding all of it. All of it! I plan to enjoy the summer for as long as I can and like every weekend, this one my family and I set camp outside on the backyard for a full day of play, fun and delicious food.
Every weekend, I try to make a different dish for us to enjoy. Most times, we cook on the grill, but this time we opted for something a little more fun.
We decided to make Chipotle Chicken Tostadas!
I woke up early Saturday morning and with my daughter headed out to my local Walmart, as I usually do, to stock up on all the ingredients we would need for our backyard adventure of the day. I love that with just one trip, we can find everything we need.
While at the store, we picked up some chicken breast, avocados, cheese, sour cream, tostadas and even a pre-packaged pico de gallo salsa that was delicious. Then, I headed down the Hispanic aisle and picked up a few cans of La Morena chipotle peppers and pickled Jalapeño peppers. I love how La Morena products add authentic Latino flavors to traditional Hispanic dishes. This is something I always look for, when choosing products to make Latin dishes.
Back home, I prepared the chicken before heading outside. I boiled the chicken breast with some garlic, onion, salt and a little homemade sofrito, until it was tender enough to shred using two forks. Then, in a blender, I mixed the chicken broth that was left in the pot with a tomato, two chipotle peppers and some more salt. In a skillet, I sauteed a little extra onion, garlic and tomato. I, then, added the chicken and chipotle mixture and let it all simmer for about 20 minutes, until all the liquid had reduced.
Once the chicken was ready, I warmed up the tortillas in the oven at 350 degrees for about five minutes. I placed all the toppings in separate bowls and we took them outside. We set a little picnic area in a small bistro table and each took turns assembling our own tostadas.
They were absolutely delicious! Crunchy, spicy and with a perfect smokey flavor, these Chipotle Chicken Tostadas would be a hit among family and friends.
After eating, the kids ran, jumped, played with water balloons, got absolutely soaked and went back inside to dry off. I just sat in my comfy outdoor chair and ate more tostadas. Life is good.
Chipotle Chicken Tostadas
- 1 pound chicken breast , boneless skinless
- 1 small red onion , cut in half
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon homemade sofrito
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 small tomato , cut in half
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small red onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 small tomato , chopped
- 4 store bought tostadas (fried tortillas)
For the toppings
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 4 tablespoons pico de gallo
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
- 1 pickled jalapeño pepper , chopped (optional)
- To a small pot, add the chicken, onion cut in half, whole garlic clove, sofrito and one teaspoon of salt. Let boil until the meat has cooked and become tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred the meat using two forks.
- In a blender, mix the onion and garlic in the broth with the chipotle peppers, the tomato that has been cut in half, one teaspoons of salt and the left over chicken broth.
- In a medium skillet, heat up a the oil over medium-high heat. Sautee the chopped onion until it has become transparent. Add the minced garlic, chopped tomato, shredded chicken and chipotle mixture.
- Bring up to a boil, and let simmer until the broth has reduced almost completely, about 15-20 minutes.
To assemble the tostadas
- Warm up the tostadas in the oven at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes.
- Peel and roughly mash the avocado. Place about two tablespoons of avocado at the bottom of the tostadas. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of chipotle chicken, then cheese and a tablespoon of pico de gallo salsa. Finally, top with sour cream.
- Serve immediately.