I come from an island filled with coconut trees and cacao beans. I grew up eating its fruits cutting them down straight from the trees. So it goes without saying that these coconut macaroons just scream HOME to me. I really miss the island, the warm weather, the sandy beaches, sitting under a palm tree drinking coconut water right from the coconut. In its own way, my cooking really reflects how much I long for home. I am usually attracted to cooking things that remind me of the foods I ate as child in my beautiful DR. These coconut macaroons are no different.
I remember the times I went to the beach with my family as a child. There were always vendors of all kinds selling food that included fried fish with tostones (twice fried plantains), fish or crab croquettes, really cold cervezas and coconuts. I loved drinking the water from the coconut and once done the vendors would use their machetes to crack the coconut open so that I could then eat the inside meat of the coconut. Well in a way, eating these cookies kind of reminded me of that.
As with everything, I thought these cookies would be really hard to make. That is until I found a super easy recipe from Giorgia over at The Comfort of Cooking. Isn’t her blog awesome?
I made her recipe on a weeknight after been really sick with a cold. I have to say that eating them just completely lighted my spirits and somehow made me feel all better. Yes, I know they have no medicinal properties to make my cold go away, but I supposed that is just the effect dessert and sweet things have in me.
Some weeks later, I wanted to make them again. To kick it up a notch, I decided to make a chocolate drizzle to pour over the macaroons and booooooy! That was just what it needed to make them fabulous. These Coconut Macaroons are sweet and moist with a crispy exterior and deliciously chewy on the inside. The chocolate drizzle adds another layer of smooth sweet flavor that will leave you just wanting more even after they are all gone.
These one-bite treats are good for any occasion, too. Bake them for your child’s school holiday party, give them as a present to your neighbor or even to cheer up a friend when feeling down. These little bites of coconut yumminess are guaranteed to be a hit anywhere you bring them.
Coconut Macaroons With Chocolate Drizzle
- 1 1/3 cups flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Drizzle
- 1 cup milk chocolate melts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut, sugar and flour. Stir in egg whites and vanilla with a wooden spoon, mixing well. Drop by heaping 1/2 tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let macaroons cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- On a double boiler, melt chocolate.
- Once melted, add the vegetable shortening and mix until combined.
- Using a spoon, drizzle chocolate over macaroons.
- Consume carelessly.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment so that the macaroons are easy to remove.
- Because ovens can run at different temperatures, check your macaroons after 15 minutes of baking.
- Let them cool before adding the chocolate, and let the chocolate set fully before storing them.