Crispy Brussel sprouts with bacon and garlic, an easy, simple and healthy dish filled with flavor! The perfect side dish for any meal.
I have to be honest and say that it’s taken us a while to get around to liking Brussel sprouts. Quite frankly, it’s a real struggle to get my kids and husband to eat vegetables. I have to truly get incredibly creative at times to try to get them to eat some veggies. Sometimes I’m successful and other times not so much.
I really enjoy trying new dishes and cook with ingredients that we don’t normally use. So, I bought these gorgeous Brussel sprouts at my local store and decided that I was going to make something really delicious with them for all of us to try.
But when I told my husband that I would be making Brussel sprouts, he was not very enthusiastic. I assured him that all would be good and that if he didn’t like it. He did not have to eat it.
So, I went on with my plan and started thinking what could I do with these Brussel sprouts that would make my husband and kids eat them. Add bacon of course! And then I kicked it up another notch by adding some garlic for extra flavor and some red pepper flakes for a little spicy kick.
That did it, friends! I mean, I wasn’t too surprised since adding bacon to anything automatically makes it 100% better. But the fact that I cooked a dish with a vegetable that was not hidden and/or disguised in rice or meat to make my kids eat it, it’s a huge accomplishment that I’m absolutely proud of.
The minute the dish was served, it was gone! If that’s not one huge mom win, I don’t know what is.
How to Cook Brussel sprouts
To make Brussel sprouts first you need to trim the stem and remove any discolored leaves. Then, you are going to cut each in half lengthwise through the stem.
In a heated skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Then, remove the bacon and set aside. Add the Brussel sprouts and garlic to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, searing the Brussel sprouts on each side until lightly brown. Turn off the heat and season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
Chop the bacon into small pieces and add to the pan. Stir to combine and serve!
Other Delicious Recipes You Might Like:
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Picadillo and Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Easy Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Chipotle Sauce
- Pepperoni and Vegetables Frittata
Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve the pan with the bacon fat. Allow bacon to cool, and then chop into small pieces.
- Trim the stem of the Brussel sprouts and remove any discolored leaves. Then, cut them in half lengthwise through the stem.
- Add Brussel sprouts and garlic to the heated pan with the bacon fat drippings.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, searing each side of the Brussel sprouts until lightly brown. Turn off heat and season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Add the bacon to the pan and stir to combine.
- Serve warm.
Did you make this recipe? We’d love to see! Tag @Smart_LilCookie on Instagram and use the hashtag #SmartLittleCookieEats.
*This post contains affiliate links. We earn a small fee from any Amazon purchases made through the links in this post at no additional cost to you.