Sweet, moist and with a refreshing citrus flavor, this Orange Ricotta Coconut Cake is the perfect dessert choice for any occasion.
I don’t usually buy a lot of ricotta cheese. When I do, I buy the small container usually because I have planned to make lasagna or baked Ziti. These are the only two recipes I had ever added ricotta to. Until, I made this cake that is.
Last week, my local grocery store had the big container of ricotta cheese on sale. I went to buy the small container and realized that the big one was actually cheaper because of the sale, so I bought it not really knowing what I would do with it. If I didn’t think of something fast, this big tub of ricotta cheese would be going to waste and I just couldn’t have that happened.
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, so why couldn’t I just start baking early. I was sure I could make a cake with cheese. It’s not something I’m used to doing, but why not?
In fact, ricotta makes for a more moist cake and it’s delicious. The combination of orange and coconut give a wonderful tropical taste and feel. After making this cake, it did not last very long. That is always a good sign since I live in a house full of picky eaters.
Now, let’s talk giveaway!
As Valentine’s day approaches, I really felt the need to share some love. After all, it’s the month to celebrate love and friendship, right?
Therefore, to show my love and appreciation, I am giving away a beautiful Towle Living 6-piece Hostess Set so that you, my friend, can serve your delicious cooking creations with love and style. Just enter through the Rafflecopter widget below. Giveaway ends on February 14 at midnight. Open to U.S. residents only.
Orange Ricotta Coconut Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon juice of an orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup coconut flakes
- For the Glaze
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons coconut flakes for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt cake pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set to the side.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the butter, sugar and orange zest until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in ricotta cheese and mix until well combined. Beat in the egg, orange juice and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Pour the mixture and spread evenly on the cake pan. Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the top is slightly golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- While the cake is baking make the glaze. In a medium bowl, whisk together powder sugar, orange zest and orange juice.
- Drizzle glaze over the cake and sprinkle with coconut flakes. Let sit until the glaze hardens. Cake can be reserved in a covered container for up to 2 to 3 days.