Pumpkin Spice Rice Pudding ~ All the flavors of pumpkin pie in sweet and creamy rice pudding.
Growing up, I loved rice pudding. My grandmother use to make the most delicious spiced rice pudding. She would make a big batch and I could barely wait for it to cool off before diving into it. It tasted like warm hugs in a chilly night. Her arroz con leche is only one of the many wonderful memories my grandma left me and every time I make some, I think of her.
I’m not going to share her amazing spiced rice pudding here just yet. I will. But, not today. Today, I will share this Pumpkin Spice Rice Pudding instead.
It’s pumpkin season after all and this pumpkin spice rice pudding is absolutely delicious. It’s Autumn in dessert form.
I live for simple and easy to make food and this dessert is no different. Simply cook the rice in water with salt and pumpkin pie spice until tender. Then, add evaporated milk, pumpkin puree, sugar and raisins. Let simmer, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking, until the rice pudding acquires the desired thickness. I like my rice pudding more on the thick side. If you prefer yours not as thick, simply add a little more water and/or milk when cooking. Once it has reached the desired consistency, turn off the heat, cover and let it cool before serving. To serve cold refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
Pumpkin Spice Rice Pudding
- 1/2 cup rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Place the rice, water, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large cast iron pot over medium heat. Let it simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Add the milk, sugar and pumpkin puree and stir to combine. Once it comes to a boil, add the raisins.
- Let simmer until it reaches a pudding like consistency. Turn off the heat and cover to let cool down before serving.