These baked stuffed sweet potatoes with picadillo and a delicious cilantro lime sauce are the perfect healthy weeknight dinner.
Today’s recipe is one that I have been wanting to make for quite a while. These stuffed sweet potatoes are healthy, delicious and very filling. The perfect weeknight dinner after a busy day.
I love sweet potatoes! It’s a very versatile ingredient that can be used for breakfast, dessert, added to a soup or stew, as a side dish or even a main course like this one.
When I told my husband that I was making stuffed sweet potatoes, he wasn’t too sure about it. In all honesty, anything that reads as “healthy” to my husband is a big no. But upon trying it the only words that came out of his mouth were “Wow! This is really good!”
To me, that is a big WIN!
I stuffed my sweet potatoes with a delicious beef picadillo and topped it with garlicky cilantro lime sauce that gives it just an additional layer of yumminess.
How to bake sweet potatoes
To bake the sweet potatoes, make sure to rinse them thoroughly and prick with a fork or a knife several times all around. Place them on a baking sheet and bake at 400° for about 40 minutes or until tender.
Remove from the oven and make a slit lengthwise end-to-end across the top of each potato. Fluff the inside with a fork before stuffing.
While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the picadillo filling and the cilantro lime sauce. Stuff your freshly baked sweet potatoes with the picadillo, drizzle with the cilantro lime sauce and serve immediately.
You can store the ingredients separately for up to three days and build the sweet potato before serving.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Picadillo and Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean, ground beef
- 1 teaspoon adobo
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sazón culantro
- 3 tablespoons homemade sofrito (link in notes)
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olives
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- ½ cup cilantro
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon freshly squeezed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Layer a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Wash all potatoes and prick with a fork or a knife several times each. Place on the baking sheet and bake until tender, about 40 minutes.
- While the potatoes bake, heat up the oil over medium-high heat. Season the beef with adobo, black pepper, oregano, sazón culantro, and the sofrito.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and cook until brown stirring and breaking up occasionally.
- Once the beef is browned, add tomato sauce and water. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until all the water has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Stir in olives and remove from heat.
- Make a slit lengthwise end-to-end across the top of each potato and fluff the inside with a fork before stuffing with the ground beef.
For the Cilantro Sauce
- Mix the cilantro, mayonnaise, garlic, salt, pepper and lime juice in the blender until thoroughly combined.
- Drizzle over stuffed sweet potatoes.
Did you make this recipe? We’d love to see! Tag @Smart_LilCookie on Instagram and use the hashtag #SmartLittleCookieEats.
*This post contains affiliate links. We earn a small fee from any Amazon purchases made through the links in this post at no additional cost to you.