How to make perfect hard-boiled eggs. Easy tips on how to boil eggs so that they come out perfect every time. Follow these step by step instructions to learn how to cook and peel the perfect egg for easy breakfasts and brunches.
Hard-boiled eggs are one of my son’s favorite things to eat for breakfast and in all honesty, it’s one of mine as well.
For a very long time (when I was learning to cook), I did not know how to boil eggs properly. They would always turn out kind of dry and with that dark green color on the yolk. I had no idea that the reason they were turning out this way was that I was overcooking them.
After watching a few tips on the Food Network and trying them out, I finally got the hang of how to properly hard boil eggs so that they come out perfect every time.
How To Cook The Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs – Step by Step
- Place eggs in a saucepan and add enough water to cover the eggs.
- Place on the stove over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once the water starts boiling, set a timer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes have passed, remove the eggs from the saucepan and place into a bowl with ice cold water to shock them.
- Let the eggs cool to room temperature, not too long, and peel.
How to peel hard boiled eggs
The eggs become harder to peel if they become chilled. So, make sure to remove the shell as soon as they’ve reached room temperature.
To speed up the cooling of the eggs if you are in a hurry, you can place them in a bowl of water to cool them quickly.
How long do boiled eggs keep?
Boiled eggs are perfect for meal prepping. Once they have fully cooled, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge and they will be good for a week. They are a great option for a grab and go snack or slice them up to top salads.
If you leave them at room temperature, you need to eat them within two hours.
Use fresh eggs
To make the best hard boiled eggs you will want to use fresh eggs and preferably free run or organic. To check your eggs are fresh, place them in a bowl of water. If they sink to the bottom they are good to use.
Are eggs good for you?
Eggs are a really nutritious food that are low in calories but contain lots of vitamins, proteins, minerals and healthy fats. Boiling them is the healthiest way to cook eggs as no other ingredients are added to them. You can read more about their health benefits here.
Hard boiled egg recipes
Boiled eggs are great by themselves, or serve them with some avocado and toast for a well balanced breakfast. They are great to use in so many other recipes too…
- Devilled Eggs
- Potato Salad
- Chicken Cobb Salad
- Egg Salad
- Tuna Nicoise Salad
There you have it! Perfectly cooked hard-boiled eggs for breakfast or to make your favorite recipes.
More Easy Egg Recipes
Hard Boiled Eggs
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place eggs in a medium pot and add enough water to cover the eggs, about 3 cups.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it starts boiling, set a timer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully, remove eggs from boiling water and immediately place in a bowl with ice cold water.
- Crack the shell of the eggs by tapping slightly on the counter or wooden board. Peel carefully.
- Dip the egg (as you are peeling it) in and out of the water to remove any slivers of the shell, as needed.
- Cut eggs in half, season with salt and pepper and serve.