This post is also available in: Español
Morir Soñando (Milk and Orange Juice) – A traditional drink from the Dominican Republic that is made with only 3 ingredients and it’s best enjoyed during hot summer days.
If we’re going to talk about traditional Dominican recipes there’s not one as unique as the Morir Soñando. This delicious beverage is one that is loved by children and adults alike and it’s a Dominican staple both in the island and abroad.
What is Morir Soñando
The name literally translates to “to die dreaming.” I couldn’t really tell you where the name comes from but it goes along with the very Dominican custom of giving interesting (funny) names to fairly common or simple things or dishes such as mondongo or rabo encendio.
In actuality, it is a cold beverage made of milk, orange juice, and sugar. It’s usually enjoyed as an afternoon snack or whenever you’re in the mood for a nice cold drink.
How to Make Morir Soñando
Making this delicious drink is so easy. Simply mix milk with sugar and ice in a large pitcher, and slowly add orange juice while stirring.
It is important that all ingredients are really cold before mixing and that you add the orange juice last otherwise the mix will curdle, which makes for a not so appealing drink.
Tips for Making Morir Soñando
- Make sure that both the milk and orange juice are chilled before mixing so that the mixture does not curdle.
- Sweeten the milk first and add ice to it. Then, pour the orange juice last while stirring continuously.
- Drink it immediately. This is not a drink that you make to put in the fridge for later. Just mix and enjoy.
This one is the most common recipe for this drink, but there are people who like to make small variations that are also really tasty. For example, my grandmother mixed in lime juice instead of orange juice. My mom prefers to use the juice of sour oranges to mix with the milk and from what my mom tells me, making it with grapefruit juice was my dads favorite. So, you see? Everyone has their favorite version.
Of course, the citrus you decide to use is totally based on preference, but the result is still a pretty tasty drink that everyone is sure to enjoy. You will not find a more refreshing and delicious drink than this one.
Other recipes you might like:
- Papaya Milkshake (Batido de Lechosa)
- Traditional Mamey Smoothie (Batido de Zapote)
- Watermelon Agua Fresca
- Blueberry Ginger Lemonade
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 ½ cups orange juice freshly squeezed
- Chill milk and orange juice.
- In a large pitcher, combine milk, sugar and vanilla. Add ice and stir. Pour in the orange juice while stirring continuously.
- Garnish with an orange slice. Serve immediately.