**This post was sponsored on behalf of Ragu. All opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that help make this site possible.
Mushrooms and Zucchini Bolognese with Italian Style Meatballs ~ A hearty sauce filled vegetables and made easy with the NEW Ragu Homestyle pasta sauces. Add meatballs and pour over a bed of spaghetti for a delicious pasta dinner.
As you already know, I love simple and easy to make dinner dishes. I’m also a sucker for a good pasta dish. Pasta is usually my go to dinner when I’m looking for a delicious and cost efficient meal to feed a crowd or have leftovers for the following day. But who has the time to wait for a good sauce to simmer hours on end? …I know I don’t.
This is why I rely on Ragu to help me make some awesome pasta dishes that we all can enjoy in less than 45 minutes, while still enjoying that homemade taste we all love.
Ragu has now rolled out a new line of Homestyle Thick and Hearty sauces in all our favorite flavors:
- Homestyle Thick and Hearty Traditional Sauce
- Homestyle Thick and Hearty Meat Sauce
- Homestyle Thick and Hearty Four Cheese Sauce
- Homestyle Thick and Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce
- Homestyle Thick and Hearty Mushroom Sauce
These new sauces are packed with bold flavors and offer enough variety to switch up your favorite pasta dishes from time to time like I did with this mushroom and zucchini bolognese.
Instead of making a traditional bolognese sauce, I wanted to change it up a little bit and decided to use mushrooms and zucchini as a way to trick my daughter into having her vegetables.
You see, one of her absolute favorite dishes is spaghetti with meat sauce. I thought if I could just find a way to incorporate more vegetables into the sauce, I could finally get her to eat her veggies. But, she is a smart one my daughter and absolutely refused to eat the pasta if I made it only with vegetables. So, to counteract her arguments, I agreed to add meatballs to the sauce. To my surprise, that actually worked!
In the end, she ended up loving it.
Mom – 1
Kids – 0
With such a simple adjustment and an easy recipe, I was able to make my kids eat their veggies! Being able to make small changes and adjustments to a recipe to please those I love and make it my own is what homestyle means to me.
To make this recipe, simply saute some onions until they have become translucent, add mushrooms and a little wine. After simmering for about five minutes add the zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Then, add in the Ragu sauce. For this recipe I used the roasted garlic flavor sauce, which I just absolutely love! Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes and then, add pre-cooked, frozen meatballs that have been thawed to the sauce. Finally, stir in about a tablespoon of roughly chopped parsley to add some freshness to the dish.
Voila! You got yourself a simple, hearty, meaty and extra delicious sauce in less than 30 minutes. Serve over a bed of cooked spaghetti and enjoy!
Mushrooms and Zucchini Bolognese with Italian Style Meatballs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white onion , chopped
- 2 cups white mushrooms , sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 zucchini , cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 23 oz jar New Homestyle Ragu sauce, roasted garlic flavor
- 8 pre-cooked frozen Italian style meatballs, , thawed
- 1 tablespoons fresh parsley , roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound spaghetti , cooked according to box instructions
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Saute onion until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and let cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine, zucchini, salt and pepper. Stir and let simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sauce and the meatballs. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes more. Add the fresh parsley.
- Serve warm over a bed of cooked spaghetti. Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Make sure to visit the Ragu website to learn more about their new sauces and explore all available flavors. And if you have any cool tricks to have your kids eat their veggies, share them in the comments below. I’d love to hear some of your creative ideas. 🙂