This post is also available in: Español
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PepItUp #CollectiveBias
Pepperoni and Vegetables Frittata, a quick and simple dish with all the goodness of delicious Hormel pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, zucchini, plum tomatoes and fresh basil. The perfect, kids approved, dish for brunch and dinner!
My house is full of picky eaters! That includes my husband, sometimes. I cannot begin to explain the difficulty I face in trying to feed my family good healthy food. It really seems that I am the only person in my house who enjoys eating vegetables, although, I must confess that is actually something I grew into in the past few years. This is the main reason why I am not too hard on my kids for not wanting to eat their vegetables.
We are a meat eating family. I understand that. So, to ensure that they also get their good veggie intake, I have learned to use the foods they like the most and create recipes that include the vegetables in it. That is just what I did with this easy and super delicious Pepperoni and Vegetables Frittata and what a success it was y’all!!
My son loves pepperoni. I always like to keep a pack of Hormel pepperoni in the fridge for our weekly pizza fix. But throughout the week, the pepperoni slowly disappears. For a while, I had no idea what was happening to the pepperoni, until I caught my son sneaking into the fridge to steal the pepperoni pieces and eat them! Quickly, I ran to my little notepad where I keep a list of ingredients I can use to get my kids to eat and added one more item.
As the weather is finally warming up here in New York because Spring is near, I started thinking of all the delicious fresh vegetables I could integrate into our cooking now with pepperoni in mind. After a quick run to Walmart, where I bought a pack of Hormel Pepperoni Minis, I decided to give this new recipe a try. Using fresh tomatoes, zucchini and basil, this Pepperoni and Vegetables Frittata is not only appetizing but, oh so healthy. Best of all it’s quick and simple.
First, split the zucchini in half and cut it into slices. In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, warm two tablespoon of olive oil and cook the zucchini slightly. Remove the zucchini from skillet and set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, pepperoni, cheese, zucchini, tomato and basil. Add to the skillet and let cook just until the edges begin to set. Remove from the heat and place in the oven until the frittata has cooked through, about 17-20 minutes.
Needless to say, my kids ate this thing up in a flash and even asked for more. Now, that is what I call success.
I must admit, this has been my most creative use of pepperoni yet. How about you? Do you have any awesome pepperoni recipes you make for your family? Share it in the comments below. 🙂
Pepperoni and Vegetables Frittata
- 1 zucchini , medium size
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4-5 eggs
- 3/4 cup Hormel original pepperoni minis
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 plum tomato , cubed
- 1 fresh basil leaf , roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Split the zucchini in half and cut it into slices. In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, warm two tablespoon of olive oil and cook the zucchini slightly. Remove the zucchini from skillet and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, pepperoni, cheese, zucchini, tomato, basil and salt. Add to the skillet and let cook just until the edges begin to set.
- Remove from the heat and place in the oven until the frittata has cooked through, about 17-20 minutes. Serve warm.
- Don't have your skillet on too high of a heat or the bottom of your frittata can burn.
- Let the frittata sit for 5 minutes before slicing and serving, this will help it to firm up in the center.
- If reheating, cover the frittata with foil when you heat it through so that the top doesn't burn. You can also reheat it in the microwave.
For more great pepperoni recipes, head on over to the Hormel Facebook page.