This post is also available in: Español
Seasoned with chicken bouillon, this hearty Lentil Stew recipe is packed with flavor and filled with delicious shrimp, lentils, carrots, potatoes, celery, onions and garlic. This one-pot stew requires just 5 minutes prep and is a wonderfully hearty meal.
Soup season is finally here friends and this Lentil stew is one of my absolute favorite meals to make when the weather cools down and the days become shorter.
I personally love a good hearty stew and this one is as yummy as they can be.
Lentil and Shrimp Stew Ingredients
- Vegetable Oil
- Vegetables: Celery, red onion, garlic, carrots
- Chicken Flavor Granulated Bouillon
- Herbs and seasonings: Oregano, basil, bay leaf, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
- Tomato sauce
- Dried lentils
How To Make Lentil Stew Recipe with Shrimp
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook slightly, until it has turned a bit pink. Remove shrimp and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onions, celery, garlic, carrots and potatoes to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about five minutes. Sprinkle in chicken bouillon, oregano, basil, bay leaf and red pepper flakes, cook one minute.
- Add tomato sauce, lentils and water, stirring well to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are soft, about an hour.
- When lentils are soft and soup is ready to be served, season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro and reserved shrimp.
- Serve warm with rice or bread.
Easy One Pot Lentil Stew Recipe
I love that this dish requires such little prep! The whole meal comes together in one pot and the clean up is minimal!
I have made this lentils stew before, but instead of shrimp, I added chorizo. I must say that the shrimp goes very well with the lentils, so much so that I did not miss the chorizo in the recipe at all. If you like, you can swap the shrimp for chorizo really easily.
What do you serve with lentil stew?
You can have this Shrimp and Lentils Stew as is, served over a bed of rice or with a side of yummy crusty bread. Either way, you’ll enjoy the taste of a comforting, flavorful, totally homemade meal that the entire family will love.
Can you make it ahead of time?
Yes! This lentil stew recipe is a great dish for meal prep throughout the week, I often make. a double batch! Let the lentil stew cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container and placing it in the fridge. It will keep well for up to 3 days.
You can reheat the stew on the stovetop. If it’s a little dry, you can stir in a little water or stock.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Make this lentil stew recipe in a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan. It will distribute the heat more evenly so you won’t end up with hot spots that can burn the bottom of the stew.
- You can use fresh or frozen shrimp in this recipe. If you use frozen, make sure that they are fully defrosted before cooking.
- There is no need to pre-soak the lentils, they will cook right in the stew.
More Easy Shrimp Recipes
Lentil Stew Recipe with Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound shrimp , peeled and devained
- 2 celery stalks , chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 carrots , peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound gemstone potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Flavor Granulated Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils
- 6 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro , roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook lightly, until it has turned a little pink. Remove the shrimp and reserve.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions, celery, garlic, carrots, and potatoes to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft, about five minutes. Sprinkle with chicken broth, oregano, basil, bay leaf and red pepper flakes, cook one minute.
- Add tomato sauce, lentils, and water, stirring well to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are soft, about an hour.
- When the lentils are soft, season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the cilantro and reserved shrimp.
- Serve hot with rice or bread.
- Prepare this recipe in a saucepan or heavy-bottomed skillet, it will distribute the heat more evenly so you don’t end up with hot spots that could burn the bottom of the stew.
- You can use fresh or frozen shrimp for this recipe. If you use frozen ones, make sure they are completely thawed before cooking.
- There is no need to soak the lentils, they are cooked directly in the stew.