Limit the time spent in front of the stove with this simple, easy, juicy, flavorful and perfectly tender Slow Cooker Shredded Beef.
The past few weeks have been a bit rough. I would like to apologize to anyone who tried to read the blog last week and found that it wouldn’t load. Apparently, our hosting company was going through some server issues and our page among some others were hugely impacted by this problem. Needless to say, the problem has been resolved and we’re ready to continue to share with you all of our best recipes.
So, with that said, let us begin with this delicious slow cooker recipe perfect for the summer days.
I have a real obsession with Cuban food. One of my favorite Cuban dishes is their Ropa Vieja. This recipe is a similar version made more in the style of the Dominican “carne ripiada” or shredded meat.
Both carne ripiada and ropa vieja consist of a piece of beef, such as flank steak, cooked over low heat for a very long time until very tender to then be shredded.
In an attempt to make it easier for myself and avoid the time spent in front of the stove looking over a pot, I decided to cook the meat in the slow cooker, which gave me extra time throughout the day for other things. I cleaned the house, did laundry and even had a little extra time to play basketball on the driveway with my son.
I must say, I still got game! JJ couldn’t understand what hit him. My children had no idea that as a youngster, I was a big sports lover. I grew up playing volleyball, basketball and baseball in the streets of my lovely Dominican Republic, among all my cousins and friends. Sharing that part of me with my kids made me truly happy, especially when seeing the surprise and happiness on their faces every time I made a basket.
Recipes that don’t require me being in the kitchen for hours and allow me the time to share special moments with my family are my favorite. This Slow Cooker Shredded Beef is simple, easy, juicy and very flavorful. Perfect any day of the week.
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 teaspoon salt , more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons sofrito
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves , peeled
- 1 medium red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 small red onions , chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup olives
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro , chopped
- Season the meat with salt, pepper, oregano and sofrito.
- In a cast iron pot, heat half the oil at medium-high heat and sear the meat just until golden brown.
- Place in a slow cooker. Add the garlic, bell pepper, onion, tomato sauce, olives and enough water just to cover the meat. Cook on low for about 8 hours or high for 4 hours and 30 minutes.
- Using two forks, shred the meat. Taste and add extra salt if needed.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve warm over rice, beans and tostones.