Slow Cooker Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
This delicious turkey and sweet potato chili is warm, comforting and made in the slow cooker for ease of cooking. The perfect meal for a chilly fall evening!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time4 hrs 30 mins
Total Time4 hrs 40 mins
Servings: 4 -6 servings
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- ½ bell pepper , chopped
- ½ medium onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin , divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder , divided
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes , divided
- 2 teaspoons oregano , divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt , divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (22 oz.) can diced tomato
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium sweet potato , cut into one inch pieces
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley , chopped
In a large bowl, combine turkey, bell pepper, onion, garlic, ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1 teaspoon salt.
Heat up the oil in a large skillet over high-medium heat. Brown the turkey breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
Once completely browned, carefully, transfer the meat into the slow cooker. Add the rest of the cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, oregano and salt. Then, add the diced tomato and its juices, tomato sauce, sweet potato and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook for 4 hours and 30 minutes on high or 6 hours on low. Taste and season with salt as needed.
Finally, add fresh parsley roughly chopped,15 minutes before the chili is ready, for added freshness.
Serve warm with side of choice.