Dominican Braised Chicken (Pollo Guisado)
Dominican Braised Chicken or Pollo Guisado is a simple and easy meat dish that is filled with flavor and one of the most popular dishes in Dominican cooking.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 2 pounds chicken (legs and thighs)
- ¾ teaspoon adobo
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pack sazón
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons sofrito
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 small red onion, chopped into fine strips
- ½ green bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, roughly chopped
Season the chicken with adobo, ground black pepper, oregano, sazón, lime juice and about two tablespoons of sofrito.
Heat up vegetable oil in a large saute pan. Make sure to use a pan with a lid because you are going to cover it later.
Sprinkle brown sugar in the pan and let the sugar brown slightly. When the sugar starts to turn brown, carefully, add the chicken. Saute the chicken until the meat is light brown.
Add 1/4 cup of water. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring and adding a bit of water as it becomes necessary.
Add onion, and pepper, cover and simmer until the vegetables are slightly cooked through.
Then, add the tomato sauce and half a cup of water, simmer over low heat to produce a light sauce. Add fresh cilantro.
Serve with a side of white rice, beans stew and maduros.