Stuffed Plantain Cups (Tostones Rellenos)
Cute little cups of scrumptiousness, filled with shredded beef and topped with mayo and ketchup.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 cups frying oil
- 1 green plantain
- 1/2 lb cooked and shredded beef (or any other type of meat you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon mayonaise , optional
- 1 tablespoon ketchup , optional
Heat the oil in a large skillet.
Peel the bananas and cut them into pieces.
Fry the plantains in the hot oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
With the bottom of a bottle, a small skillet or a tostonera if you have one, press the bananas until they are flat, about half their size, then shape them into a cup.
Fry the banana cups in the hot oil until golden brown then place them on a plate with napkins to drain the oil and sprinkle with a little salt.
Fill the banana cups with the shredded meat and top them with mayonnaise and ketchup if you wish.
- I recommend green bananas to prepare this recipe although you can use ripe bananas if you are in a pinch. Avoid the ones with black spots.
- Mix up your fillings! These shredded beef ones are great, but try chicken, seafood and anything else you fancy!
Calories: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 103mg | Potassium: 433mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 524IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 2mg