Black Beans and Rice (Arroz Congri)
This Black Beans and Rice or Arroz Congri is a popular Latin Caribbean dish filled with Latin flavors like garlic, oregano, and cilantro.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- half of a green and/or red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 cubes of chicken bouillon (caldo de pollo)
- 1 pack of sazón (culantro y achiote)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can black beans, with liquid
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups rice, rinsed
In a large cast-iron pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, pepper, garlic, cilantro, tomato sauce, chicken bouillon cubes, sazón, oregano, cumin, adobo, and black pepper for about 2-3 minutes until vegetables begin to release the aroma.
Add the beans with its liquid and water. When the water begins to boil, add the rice, stirring occasionally to avoid from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Once the rice has soaked up all the water and begins to dry up, lower the heat to low.
Cover and let cook for 25 minutes. Then, stir the rice carefully and cover for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve warm with a side of your choice.
Calories: 512kcal | Carbohydrates: 94g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 509mg | Potassium: 422mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 332IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 3mg