This post is also available in: Español
Beef Picadillo is a delicious, quick fix, easy dish filled with flavor. It is perfect for weeknight dinners, layered in casseroles and even as a filling for your homemade savory pastries.
Beef Picadillo is one of my family’s favorite dishes. My daughter loves when I make it to eat with rice and stew black beans. It is the one meal she would devour instantly and would lick the plate if she could.
She is a legit picky eater. So, whenever I find a dish that she would eat this much, I tend to make it often, mostly because she would ask for it continuously. But also because I know that if she enjoyed the dish, it must have been really, really good.
Picadillo is a really versatile dish and that is why I love it. I am not going to lie. There are weeks when I make this dish multiple times. But that is only because it lends itself to creating so many different meals with it.
You can have picadillo in tacos, as a filling for your empanadas and even layered in your casseroles like I did in this Mashed Potato and Beef Casserole and this Sweet Plantains and Picadillo Casserole.
There is so much you can do with this dish. And I didn’t event mention topping your tostones with it. Like, hello! Can it get any better than that?
Tell me, how would you like to have your picadillo?
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ bell pepper , chopped
- ½ medium red onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 pound , lean, ground beef
- 1 teaspoon adobo
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pack sazon culantro
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lime juice , freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon sliced pimento stuffed green olives
- 1 tablespoon cilantro , roughly chopped
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-hot heat. When hot, add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Stir well and cook until onion and bell pepper begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and stir while breaking down the meat with a wooden spoon. Sprinkle adobo, pepper, oregano and culantro. Stir to combine. Continue to cook beef until brown while stirring and breaking up occasionally.
- Once the beef is browned, add tomato sauce and water. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until all the water has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice, olives and cilantro.
- Serve warm over a bed of rice.
Did you make this recipe? We’d love to see! Tag @Smart_LilCookie on Instagram and use the hashtag #SmartLittleCookieEats.
*This post contains affiliate links. Any Amazon purchases made through the links in this post help support SmartLittleCookie.net at no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping make this site possible!