This post is also available in: Español
This 30-minute Chorizo and Bean Stew is incredibly easy to make and has tons of flavor! It’s made with Spanish chorizo, red kidney beans, onions, peppers, carrots, garlic, oregano and a bit of saffron. This stew is the comforting dinner you were looking for.
This Chorizo and Bean Stew recipe has been sponsored by MAGGI®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
When I think of the food that my grandmother used to make, stew always comes to mind. My grandmother loved a good stew. She would make all kinds of recipes in stew form that were just homey and delicious. And to me, when you speak of comfort food, a stew is always my first choice.
That may or may not be due to the fact that I ate a lot of different stews growing up.
Since cooking stew was a regular activity at home, there were certain cooking staples that my grandmother has to always have in hand, like the chicken bouillon or sopitas MAGGI® as it’s commonly known in the Dominican Republic.
Maggi’s chicken bouillons were so widely used in my grandmother’s house, that I believe there was not one dish she didn’t add them to.
They are a part of my mother’s cooking, too, and consequently mine as well. But in all honesty, I don’t think there is a Dominican household that doesn’t have them in their pantry. I, for one, know that my husband won’t cook anything if he doesn’t have sopitas at home.
To make this delicious chorizo and bean stew, I channeled my grandmother’s spirit and used her favorite condiment: Maggi chicken bouillon.
HOW TO MAKE CHORIZO AND BEAN STEW
Heat up some oil in a large dutch oven pot. Add onions, peppers, garlic and carrots. Saute until tender. Add in chorizo, beans, tomato sauce, chicken bouillon, oregano, salt, pepper, saffron, apple cider vinegar, and water. Let simmer for about 15 minutes and when it’s almost ready, stir in some fresh parsley.
Serve warm with some crusty bread. Enjoy!
Chorizo and Bean Stew
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 Spanish onion chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper chopped
- ½ medium green bell pepper chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 carrot cubed
- ½ lb cured Spanish chorizo
- 1 lb red kidney beans canned
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 chicken bouillon MAGGI®
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp black ground pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp saffron
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ cup parsley roughly chopped
- In a large dutch oven, heat olive oil. Add onions, peppers, garlic and carrots to the pot and saute until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add chorizo and beans until heated through. Stir in tomato sauce, chicken bouillon, oregano, salt, black pepper, saffron, vinegar and water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes. About 1 minute before it’s ready, stir in parsley.
- Serve with crusty french bread and a garnish of parsley if desired.
Did you make this recipe? We’d love to see! Tag @Smart_LilCookie on Instagram and use the hashtag #SmartLittleCookieEats.
*This post contains affiliate links. We earn a small fee from any Amazon purchases made through the links in this post at no additional cost to you.